- Through their outstanding achievements, this year’s gold medallists have helped to create a better society. The medallists are all IVA Fellows and are thus an important resource for our Academy, which for more than a century has focused on technology and engineering in the service of humanity, says Tuula Teeri, President of IVA.
The jury explains its selection of the 2021 IVA Gold Medal recipients as follows:
- Professor Sverker Sörlin is awarded the Great Gold Medal for his outstanding achievements as an innovative researcher, research director and active participant in the social discourse, and for his meaningful contributions to and deep engagement in research and higher education.
- Sara Mazur D.Eng. is awarded the Gold Medal for her outstanding contributions as a leader for research and innovation in industry and academia, and for her strong commitment to collaboration in areas of significant importance for the development of society.
- Professor Lars Börjesson is awarded the Gold Medal for his outstanding, innovative research in the physics of condensed materials and his innovative and dedicated leadership that has resulted in groundbreaking research infrastructure – in particular MAX IV and ESS – offering exceptional opportunities to learn about material properties that will be of great significance in future research and industry.
- Doctor Mikael Dolsten is awarded the Gold Medal for his outstanding contributions as a researcher and leader in the pharmaceutical industry. As Chief Scientific Officer and President, Worldwide Research, Development and Medical at Pfizer – one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies – he has headed the development of multiple new medicines and vaccines, most recently the successful development of a Covid-19 vaccine.
The Gold Medals to be presented at IVA’s Annual Meeting
The medals will be presented in connection with the Annual Meeting of the Academy on 29 October 2021 in the presence of T.M. The King and Queen. Due to the pandemic the 2020 Gold Medals will also be presented at this year’s Annual Meeting. Media representatives are welcome to attend the ceremony. Press ID and accreditation are required. For more information, please contact Per Andersson.