The cost of renewable electricity has fallen dramatically making massive deployment possible. It has been demonstrated recently that large-scale solar power generation in favourable locations is the cheapest way to produce electricity.
Offshore wind power costs in northern Europe have also seen a drastic decrease and wind power is now offered on a large scale sometimes without subsidies. Meanwhile developments in large-scale power transmission now allow power transmission over longer distances with low losses. The combination of these factors has led to the idea of building large-scale energy interconnections – not only across countries, but across continents as well. The seminar will cover developments in renewable power and present two spectacular ideas:
- The Global Energy Interconnection – an initiative that proposes using Ultra High Voltage DC transmission systems to build interconnections between continents. This technology is already being implemented in China with transmission lines carrying 11,000 MW over distances greater than 3,000 km.
- The North Sea Wind Power Hub – an initiative that proposes building a large artificial island in the middle of the North Sea. The idea is to create a large hub for thousands of future offshore wind turbines. A North Sea Wind Power Hub project at a location with shallow water and optimal wind conditions could make the energy transition both feasible and affordable for European consumers.
Speakers at the seminar will be:
- Introduction on current situation: Tomas Kåberger, Professor, Department of Space, Earth and Environment, Chalmers University of Technology, and IVA member.
- Keynote speaker: Zhenya Liu, Chairman GEIDCO, Global Energy Interconnection Development Cooperation and former Chairman of State Grid Corporation of China (SGCC).
- Presentation of North Sea Energy Hub: Peter Jørgensen, Vice President for Associated Activities in Energinet.
The seminar will be moderated by Bo Normark, Member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences (IVA).
Så kan du påverka
Genom att dela detta seminarium i ditt nätverk hjälper du oss att lyfta dessa viktiga samhällsfrågor.
Genom att delta i seminariet ökar vi tillsammans vår kunskap i dessa viktiga samhällsfrågor.